Challenges are a terrific way for guild members to dive into a new technique, explore new color palettes, grow in their own skill set and take inspiration from the world around them!
QGSC had the opportunity in 2021 to meet and learn from several guest speakers who taught about the history, design and manufacturing of a variety of African fabrics. This year we used that inspiration and knowledge to embark on an African adventure with the 2022 Challenge.
1. African indigenous fabrics typically have a large design, so part of the challenge will be to select a design that enhances and showcases this beautiful fabric.
2. Quilt size is limited to no larger than 36" x 36".
3. Design a quilt that has curves or may appear to have curves using your indigenous fabric bundle.
4. You do not have to use every fabric in the bundle and you can add any fabric of your choice.
5. Stretch your imagination and challenge your capabilities.
6. Use a technique familiar to you but give it a new look with fabric you might never have tried.
7. Experiment with a new technique that interests you or something you have been wanting to try.
8. Techniques include but are not limited to: traditional piecing, paper or English paper piecing, appliqué, reverse appliqué, collage, trapunto, art quilts...... the options are limitless!
9. Have Fun Creating!
1. All quilts must be submitted no later than the guild night meeting on June 23, 2022.
2. Quilts should be no larger than 36" x 36".
3. Include a label on the back with your name and the name of the quilt.
4. Please include an index card describing the quilt's story and/or new technique used.
4. Keep it secret!
Fabrics for this challenge have been purchased from www.quiltafricafabrics.com located in Abuja, Nigeria in West Africa. Check out their website for more ideas and inspiration!